Thursday, April 16, 2009

It's Almost Time for European Vacation 2009

Well, less than two weeks remain until I depart for London. I should call this trip my personal European Stimulus Package. At any rate, it's my first trip abroad; you can't consider my excursions into Mexico as 'going abroad'.

My Air Canada flight leaves from Kansas City on April 28th, and after a three-hour layover in Toronto, I continue to London's Heathrow Airport, arriving at around 11:30 the morning of the 29th.

I'm staying at the Sheraton Hotel across from Heathrow. Most people would have chosen a hotel closer to the city center, but I picked this one for two reasons. First, it was wicked inexpensive, and second, you all know by now that I love airplanes.

I have not come up with a rigid schedule of what to do; rather, knowing what I want to do when I get there, I'm just going to play it by ear. I've hired (British English for rented) a car, so I'll have the freedom to do as I wish. I won't list everything I want to do or see in England, but I am planning on updating this blog while I am over there.

Actually, there is one special item that had to be scheduled in advance. On Monday, May 4, I'm taking the Eurostar train to Paris, and returning to London Tuesday night. I just couldn't go all the way to London without spending a couple of days in Paris. Plus, I'll get to go through the Channel Tunnel, affectionately known as The Chunnel. Paris will be awesome... I'm staying at the Hotel le Pavillon, which is about three blocks from the Eiffel Tower, and about one block from the Seine. I'll be within walking distance of the major attractions.

I return to the States on Thursday, May 7, again through Toronto. Check the blog for updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment