Tuesday, March 20, 2001

The Journey to Sarasota

On this trip I flew from Saint Louis to Tampa, via Indianapolis and Jacksonville. Here are my notes on what happened that day.

Arrived at Quik Park next to Lambert Airport in Saint Louis. Got a spot right near the front. Just as I arrived, a shuttle pulled up and waited for me. Once at the airport, I had to wait all of a minute to check my bag.

Flight for Indy left and arrived on time. The aircraft was one of Southwest's theme planes - California One. It had a big bear painted on the side. Boarding card no. 5.

Airport in Indianapolis very old and tired, just like the people there seem. Everyone looked as if the horror of living in Indianapolis had just caught up to them.

Flight to Jacksonville left on time also, though for some reason I thought it would leave early too. This aircraft was the normal pukey Southwest color scheme. Flight attendants were funny as heck - you could tell they liked their jobs.

Did not have to change planes in Jacksonville. During Jacksonville stop, flight attendants were prepping the plane for the leg to Tampa. The lead flight attendant asked the male flight attendant to do something that would have been outside of his normal duties. He was currently handing out peanuts to those of us who stayed on the plane. He said 'OK, but you'll have to do my nuts'. Everyone on the plane heard, about 25 passengers plus the crew, and exploded into laughter. Dude became tomato. The rest of passengers from Jacksonville boarded, not knowing what they had missed.

Again, the flight left on time, and arrived on time as well in Tampa. We approached from the south, flying over Gandy and Howard Frankland Bridges. One wheel landing - Yikes!

Got to baggage claim just as my bag was coming out. Picked it up and went to car rental, where there was only one other person in line ahead of me. Only had to wait five minutes. Got car - a white Dodge Neon. Guess I can't escape that car.

Drove to Sarasota via Howard Frankland Bridge and Sunshine Skyway. Not the direct route, but I like going that way. Winds were high - got buffeted. No wonder the pilot had a rough time of it.

Arrived at hotel. Room nicer than anticipated. Has a kitchen. Went to bed after reading for an hour, realizing that today was probably the best travel day I'd ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment