Sunday, March 25, 2001

Cincinnati vs. Boston

I arrived at Ed Smith Stadium in Sarasota at about noon for a 1:05 game between the Red Sox and Cincinnati Reds. I always thought Ed Smith Stadium was nice, but after two games in City of Palms Park in Fort Myers, Smith seems pretty spartan. Plus, City of Palms has a canopy covering the stadium seats (not the bleachers), providing loads of shade. Smith doesn't - there's not much shade at all. It also seemed that the games were more fun and relaxing in Fort Myers.

The game did not go well for my Red Sox, losing 3-0. But I did get to see Ken Griffey Jr. play; smaller dude than I expected.

The visiting team (Sox) was on the third base side, which is where the sun was most direct. After being there for five innings, I moved to the first base side, even though it was in enemy territory. Couldn't help it - shade was available. I had been standing during the game, since my ticket was standing room only. But about two minutes after I moved, a guy with two box tickets left, and gave me the tickets. I gave one ticket to a fellow stander and we sat down. The seats were in the second row behind the Reds dugout on the first base line, right across from the batter. Probably the best seat of the three games I attended.

Preparing the field for play.

One of my Boston players swinging away.


Griffey Jr. at bat.

No comments:

Post a Comment