Saturday, May 2, 2009

Some Quality Airplane Spotting at Heathrow

Today I decided to relax and not go too far from the hotel. I've been running around quite a lot these last few days, so I needed the rest. Of course, as you all know, I find airplane spotting to be very relaxing and enjoyable, so that's all I did today. For hours. C'mon, it's HEATHROW for cryin' out loud - an airplane spotters paradise. I took almost 200 photos (glad it's digital), and I'm including a few here that turned out. Admit it - this is really what you've been waiting for.

First, let me introduce you to one of my my newest plane spotting perches. It's at the southeast corner of the airport. While there is no In-N-Out Burger like LAX, the underground station is only 30 yards away.


First airplane - a British Airways Airbus A321-231, registration G-EUXF. A little Internet research indicates that, in addition to London, fellow plane spotting geeks have documented this aircraft in Rome, Berlin, Vienna, Amsterdam, Zurich, Geneva, Copenhagen and Brussels.


A little further down the road from the main perch, directly under the flight path, I captured this British Airways Airbus 319-131, registration G-EUPK. Wow, this little fella has been all over Europe: London, Manchester, Brussels, Munich, Dusseldorf, Berlin, Prague, Stockholm, Balse, Stuttgart, Newcastle, Hamburg, Belgrade, Milan, Zurich, Geneva, Amsterdam, Edinburgh, Sofia, Cologne, Warsaw, Rome, Frankfurt, Birmingham, Madrid and Paris.


Back down at the main perch, I photographed this Aer Lingus Airbus A321-211, Registration EI-CPH. It too has been in many European cities, including London, Dublin, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Vienna, Girona, Manchester, Poznan, Warsaw, Faro, Cork, Alicante, Malanga and Paris.


Although I am not a huge Airbus fan, I'll admit that the A340 and A330 look very graceful upon landing. This Virgin Airways A340-642, registration G-VYOU, is no exception, looking like a bird getting ready to set down. As you might expect, this long haul jet has been all over the world: London, Rio de Janeiro, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Boston, Los Angeles and Sydney.


Until the Airbus A380, the Boeing 747 was the undisputed King of the Sky. Well, even though the A380 might be a little bigger, the 747 is still royalty to me. This Korean Air Boeing 747-4B5, registration HL-7402, has been spotted all over the world. Cities include London, Los Angeles, Seoul, Osaka, Tokyo, Shanghai, Toronto, Atlanta, Washington DC, Sydney, Alajuela, Paris, Warsaw, Brasilia, Frankfurt, New York and Budapest. My fellow airplane spotters at airliners.net also indicate that this very aircraft carried the president of Korea, Mr. Roh Moo-hyan, to Costa Rica on September 11, 2005.

I found another watching perch after dinner, this on at the northwest corner of the airport. Taking off is a British Airways Boeing 747-400 series. Because the registration number is indiscernible, I can't provide the exact model number or spotting history. But, to make it up, visible in the background is the new Terminal 5 at Heathrow.


And to close, another British Airways Boeing 747-400 series. Again, it's too far and too dark to make out the registration number. I feel comfortable in saying though, that since it's a long haul jet, it's been all over the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment