Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Walking Around Paris

My main mode of transportation around Paris was by foot, so I came across many interesting things as I made my way from location to location. I've included many of these photos in the hopes of giving blog visitors a sense of what it was like to walk around the city. Photos in this post are chronological and from both Monday and Tuesday.

A corner near Champ de Mars, on my way to la Tour Eiffel.


This photo was taken from Pont d'Iéna on my way over to the Trocadéro after visiting La Tour Eiffel.


I have a thing for subway signs, I guess. This was near the Trocadéro.


Street corner near the Trocadéro as I begin working my way east toward the Louvre.


Another street corner.


Same corner as above, different angle.


Self explanatory.


I was hoping to get a decent French flag photo, and got it at the Grand Palais. Almost half way from the Trocadéro to the Louvre.


I came across a statue of the Marquis de Lafayette; this was what was written. I think most Americans have forgotten that we would have lost the Revolutionary War had it not been for the French, especially Lafayette. And that's about as political as I'll get on this blog.


Additional inscription on the statue base.


Statue of the Marquis de Lafayette.


Marquis de Lafayette.


Pont Alexandre III. Learn more about this bridge at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_Alexandre_III.


Details on Pont Alexandre III.


One of the corners of the Grand Palais.


Entry to the Petit Palais.


The Petit Palais.


Closer detail from the corner on the Grand Palais.


Looking down the Avenue des Champs-Elysées at l'Arc de Triomphe. This photo was taken near the Grand Palais at Avenue Winston Churchill.


The Obelisque de Louqsor in the Place de la Concorde.


Place de la Concorde.


Looking down the Seine with La Tour Eiffel and Pont Alexandre III in the background.


A building I liked across the river as I continued to walk to the Louvre.


Musée d'Orsay. Last photo before reaching the Louvre.


I took this photo Tuesday morning on my way to Notre Dame. On the left is Ile St-Louis, and on the right is Ile de la Cite. I'm on a bridge on Rue d'Arcole heading mainly south from the Hôtel De Ville Metro Station.


A street on Ile de la Cite, only a block or two from Notre Dame.


After Notre Dame, I took this photo just before lunch at a corner cafe just out of the photo on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment